Don’t get left out of the party. 50 million people are on LinkedIn. Are you?
Think of LinkedIn as the nice virtual equivalent to the nice outfit you wear for an interview or the rolodex of contacts people kept back in the day.
1) Complete your profile. Do you show up shirtless to an interview? Nope. Make sure your profile is fully dressed, too.
Profiles that are 100% complete get the most exposure. Make sure you completed your summary, added relevant experiences, asked individuals for recommendations, and included a picture.
2) Make personalized connection requests. You wouldn't randomly knock on someone's door. The same etiquette applies when reaching out to potential LinkedIn connections. Include a brief message on how you know a person and why you want to connect with them. Many people indicate their connection preferences in their profiles. Begin by asking people you know to join your network and expand from there.
3) Keywords are Key. Understand and use the language of your audience. Use the “Skills & Expertise” tool, located in the “More” menu and on your profile. This will help you identify keywords to populate your profile which can help you demonstrate your expertise, use of relevant jargon for a particular career path and potentially be found in a search.
4) Join Groups. Groups are a great way to build your network within your industry and community. Consider your career/professional school interests. Join university alumni groups. Identify groups based on professional associations and common interests.
5) Summarize Yourself. Creating a summary for yourself on LinkedIn is extremely individualized based on your experience and your goals. If you need inspiration, take a look at what like-minded professionals write about themselves. Highlight key achievements, list specialties and skills you have, and explicitly state any goals you want to pursue.
LinkedIn Profile Guides and Resources
Contact Schtick We take the time to get to know you and optimize your LinkedIn profile. Connect with us and get noticed.
LinkedIn Help Center provides support for whatever stage you are at in the profile building process.